Wk4 Hypocrisy Click on the link for the pdf version.
WHAT WOULD JESUS UNDO? HYPOCRISY
LEADER’S NOTE: Please watch the video and read through the studybeforethe session. The order is a little different tonight. The video will fall towards the end of the study rather than the beginning. Don’t feel that you have to ask all of the questions. Some questions will generate more discussion than others. Look for the note to resume video.
THINK ABOUT IT: Ask a question to get your group thinking.
- What stood out to you the most from this morning’s message? Why that?
- What challenged you or caused you to think the most?
- Who are some of the least hypocritical people you know? What stands out about them?
TALK ABOUT IT:
- Describe how you feel or what you think about when you hear the word “hypocrisy.”
- Read Proverbs 28:13. Why do you think confession leads to mercy?
START THE VIDEO & WATCH WK 4:
- Describe what “masks” you wore growing up. How did you show yourself as someone you weren’t?
- In what area of your life do you struggle to show your honest self?
- How will you ask your LifeGroup, other friends, or family to pray for you this week?
PRAY ABOUT IT: Be bold and pray with power.
God, we have nothing to fear when we have nothing to hide. We can’t surprise You with our honesty and confession. Will You give us the boldness to live open lives? Thank You, Jesus, for your unlimited grace. Amen.
DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT:Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Tell your group about a mask you’ve been wearing. Then, ask them to help you watch for it—and keep it off.
- There’s still time to read the What Would Jesus Undo? Bible Plan with your group: go2.lc/undo
- Do inventory this week as you interact with people. Ask the Holy Spirit to show you other masks you put on.
KEY PASSAGES FROM THE MESSAGE
They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. … Titus 1:16 NIV
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness. …You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?” Matthew 23:27-28, 33 NIV
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.”Matthew 23:25-26 NIV
Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy.Proverbs 28:13 NIV
Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23-24 NIV