Wk2 Hollow Worship-Vertical Click on the link for the pdf version
LEADER’S NOTE: The video section for this week is shorter than normal. Please watch the video and read through the study beforethe session. You may want to pause it after the discussion question #1, then follow the discussion guide before resuming the video. Don’t feel that you have to ask all of the questions. Some questions will generate more discussion than others. Look for the note to resume video.
REWIND: Take a minute to talk about how you followed up on Pastor Steve’s challenge.
- What was something you did last week that required faith? How difficult was it to do?
- START THE VIDEO & WATCH WEEK 2:
- Describe what a meaningful expression of worship (in church) looks like for you. What does it look like?
- What different kinds of worship have you experienced in churches? (Pause Video)
- TALK ABOUT IT:
- Why do you think it’s easy for people to get bent out of shape about different styles of worship?
- Which of these biblical acts of worship feel most natural to you: kneeling, raising hands, dancing, or praising? Share your experiences.
- READ ABOUT IT:
Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, “Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don’t wash their hands before they eat!” Matt. 15:1-2 NIV
You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: “‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain …’” Matt. 15:7-9
- THINK ABOUT IT:Ask a question to get your group thinking.
- Have you ever gone through the motions of worship but your heart wasn’t really in it?How do you think God feels when we do that?
- What would it be like to live out everything we sing with our lips?
- How can you grow in your in-church expression of worship?
- RESUME VIDEO FOR QUESTION 2 & 3
READ MORE ABOUT IT: Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Romans 12:1 NIV
- Considering who God is and what He’s done for you, how can you worship Him with the way you live this week?
- PRAY ABOUT IT:Be bold and pray with power.
God, You’re our rock when we’re broken, our way when we’re lost, and our light on the darkest day. You are worth far more than every ounce of our worship, and every form of praise. Thank You, good Father. Amen.
- DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT:Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Expand the ways you worship God in and out of church—not just this week, but for good.
- Start the What Would Jesus Undo? Bible Plan on YouVersion with your group: www.go2.lc/undo
- Write a note to God thanking Him for everything He’s done for you. Share it with your group during the week.
Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker. Psalm 95:6 NIV
I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. Psalm 63:4 NIV
Let them praise his name with dancing… Psalm 149:3 NIV
Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise … Hebrews 13:15 NIV
Great is the LORD! He is most worthy of praise! … Honor and majesty surround him; strength and joy fill his dwelling. … Give to the LORD the glory he deserves! Bring your offering and come into his presence. Worship the LORD in all his holy splendor. … Let the heavens be glad, and the earth rejoice! Tell all the nations, “The LORD reigns!” Let the sea and everything in it shout his praise! Let the fields and their crops burst out with joy! … Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever. … Praise the LORD, the God of Israel, who lives from everlasting to everlasting! And all the people shouted “Amen!” and praised the LORD. 1 Chronicles 16:25, 27, 29, 31-32, 34, 36 NLT