Wk1 THREE SERIES
I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10 (NIV)
WARM UP:When do you feel the most “alive”? What is it about that activity that makes you feel that way?
Alive. Thriving.Does that describe your experience with God on a regular basis or does it describe more of the “mountain-top” experiences you’ve had in the past? If we are honest, most Christians would readily admit that what they hope for when it comes to living the Christian life and what they are actually experiencing are world’s apart.
Question:Have you ever felt like something was missing from your Christian experience but couldn’t quite put your finger on what it was?
Christian author and Pastor Francis Chan said,“I believe that this missing something is actually a missing Someone—namely, the Holy Spirit. “Forgotten God”, Francis Chan Collection. The reality is that most Christians do not know or understand the Holy Spirit that well. We talk about Him as if we know Him but we do not relate with Him personally and regularly in our daily lives. This has to change…
From the Message:This morning Pastor Steve said, “Doing a series on the Holy Spirit will not be easy because we all carry beliefs in our spiritual baggage about the Holy Spirit that are not biblical.” Pastor Steven then asked that we check our baggage at the door.
- What were you taught to believe about the Holy Spirit? What are some of the beliefs many Christians hold about the Holy Spirit that may or may not be biblical?
- If you discovered that some of your beliefs about the Holy Spirit were not based on scripture, would you be open to changing them?
- What did Pastor Steve say the difference is between approaching the scriptures exegetically and eisegetically? What did he say the danger is in the eisegetical approach?
- What did you think when Pastor Steve asked, “Is it possible to get enough or even too much God?” Why or why not?
“the Kingdom of God is not just a lot of talk; it is living by God’s power.” 1 Cor. 4:20 (NLT)
- In most churches today, we hear a lot of talk about God and His power, but do you see much of God’s presence and power? Why?
- What struck you the most from this morning’s message? Why that?
- What challenged you the most? What changes do you plan on making as a result?
Bible Study Section: John 14:15-31, John 15:7-16
- What is the relationship of the Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit to the believer? To each other?
- How has the Holy Spirit revealed Jesus in your life? How has the Holy Spirit given you understanding that you didn’t have before?
- In what ways would having the Holy Spirit be better for us than having Jesus physically present?Why wouldn’t the Holy Spirit come until after the ascension of Jesus?
- From John 15:7-16, how does Jesus describe the role of the Holy Spirit? Which one is especially meaningful to you right now?
Reflection and Prayer:Are you thirsty for more of God?
Right now, are you settling for something less than what God has planned for your life? If God is offering you more, why wouldn’t you want to take him up on the offer? We can do nothing without him. Birds are meant to fly. Fish are meant to swim. A Christian is meant to be in Christ and that is accomplished only through the presence of the Holy Spirit. You will never know who God intended you to be apart from Him. The better you know Him, not just about Him, the more you’ll understand his wills and his purposes for your life.
For in him we live and move and have our being.
Acts 17:28 (NIV)