We are not a body with a soul. We are a soul with a body. The world teaches us to detox our
bodies. But sometimes we need to detox our soul.
Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your
hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world. James 4:8 NLT
“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” The truth about
that statement is that sticks and stone can bruise your body for a few days, but words
can bruise your soul for years. Do you realize how powerful words are? They have the
power to tear someone apart. They also have the power to encourage and give life to
The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.
Proverbs 18:21 NLT
Do you say toxic, cutting words to other people? If so, it’s time to stop. Stop it. Stop
cutting others down. Start speaking life-giving words to people. Encourage and build
Or maybe you are the one always receiving those cutting, toxic words. If that is you
then you need to know this—you can’t control what others say to you, but you can
control what you choose to believe.
THINK ABOUT IT
1. What type of words do you tend to speak most, toxic or life-giving? Why do you think
2. What are some toxic words that you have chosen to believe about yourself? Why did
you believe them? Do you still believe them? Why is that?
3. How can you guard your heart against toxic words?
4. Look up and read Ephesians 4:29 NLT. What is this verse all about? How can you
apply it to your life?
5. Who do you need to speak kinder words to? How will you go about doing that starting